Trip organiser: Stephen Young and Mark Payne
The trip is a full day and will include:
- practising paddle technique at Symonds Yat
- running the rapid below Symonds Yat, with some eddy hopping and possibly rescue practice!
- 12 mile paddle down the Wye, past Monmouth to Redbrook
- picnic lunch on route and a bit of multi-boat rigging with a sail if the wind's behind us (seldom is!)
You must register if you intend to come
Open to anyone who has passed ITP 1 or 2, 2013. If under 18 you must be accompanied by a responsible adult for the whole trip including on the water.
This is a PEER PADDLE (see Trip Types
). You will be expected to take responsibility for your own kit and general safety.
Places (first come first served) are severely limited by the number of open boats we can carry to the location.
We will only be able to confirm your place when we know who is going, with what vehicles. We are expecting to paddle tandem to allow as many as possible to join the trip.
We are block-booking the club opens for this trip so individual boat booking is not needed.
For environmental and economic reasons we should car share as much as possible. We will launch at Symonds Yat East (HR9 6JL, OS561160) and get out just (river left) below the disused railway bridge at Redbrook.
Timing prompt 8.00 am start at the club to load boats, paddles, BAs, helmets, throwlines and barrels for dry kit.
- approx. 1.5 hrs to launch site.
- if there's time at the end of the trip, we can relax for rehydration at the Boat Inn on the Welsh side of the Wye (NP25 4AJ) before heading back to Bath (approx. 1 hour drive)
Main costs will be transport (Severn bridge and fuel), parking, landing and launch fees and food & drinks.
If you have any questions email the trip organiser