What is the Explore award?
If you want to become independent on the water, go on self-guided adventures and know how to control your craft and stay safe on the water, this is the award for you. If you’ve never been paddling before, it might be worth starting with the Start and Discover awards. In this award you will take ownership of your own decisions and learn to make confidence choices, based on the places you paddle, wind and weather.
What does it involve?
There’s a strong emphasis on independence with this award, and the Explore award will fill in the gaps of knowledge you might have so you can get out paddling safely on an adventure! The award covers areas like:
- On the water etiquette and how to share the space with other water users
- Different environments you can paddle (lakes, rivers, canals, estuaries)
- Controlling your kayak or canoe safely
- Clothing and equipment needs for different environments and weather
- Safe exploration
The Paddle Explore Award is an improvement award which supports the development of fundamental paddlesport skills on sheltered water.
It recognises a paddler’s understanding of how the paddle, boat and water interact and their ability to control movement of both canoes and kayaks using fundamental skills.
- Swimming pool session at Kingswood School to practice capsize drills - each Monday at 8.30 pm.
- River sessions every Tuesday, 6.00 pm til 9.00 pm
For the river sessions you will be expected to arrive at the clubhouse by 6.00pm in order to be on the water for 6.30pm. We will be off the water by about 8.30pm with a debrief in the clubhouse and finish at 9.00pm.
The pool sessions will be each Monday during the course to practise capsize and rescue drills. You don't need to attend each week but it is a great chance to practice the skills in warm water.
THERE WILL BE NO PARKING AT THE CLUBHOUSE ON RIVER NIGHTS, PLEASE ARRIVE ON FOOT.